Local governments across the nation continue to face a fundamental challenge to provide more with less. An influx in tax revenue has led local governments down a path of cutting budgets to fill the gaps — yet the demand for services and information has continued to rise.
Through our partnership with over 400 local governments, we have heard their concerns and have given them tools to “work smarter, not harder” when facing day-to-day problems.
We have complied a list of the biggest challenges we see our local government clients facing. It is by no means an exhaustive list, but it is a good round-up.
In Part Two of our series, we will talk about how local governments are overcoming these challenges and how you too can transform your GIS department program from the inside out.
Transitioning to a Web GIS Approach
- Transitioning to web GIS and not knowing where to start.
- Uncertainty with maintaining Esri account credits, people and the platform.
- Optimizing the benefits of a web GIS platform.
- Establishing an expanded online GIS presence with limited staffing, skills and training.
Stuck in Desktop and Miles away from Mobile
- How to leverage tablets and smartphones to empower employees with enterprise information and location while in the field.
- Meeting the demands — collect and update data in the field, log your current location, to make more informed and timely decision.
- So many mobile options, which is right for my organization?
Maximizing the GIS Investment
- Difficulty determining the needs and best path forward to advance their GIS program.
- Data not being used to its full potential, resulting in silos of information in business systems.
- GIS being maintained incorrectly or separately from an enterprise database.
- Responding to change — staff turnover, staff skillsets, technology updates and trends.
- Difficulty deploying GIS information to non-GIS users via web and otherwise.
- Adapting to communities’ expectation of easy access to data.
- Making things EASY.
ArcGIS for Local Government
- Confusion on what GIS is and how to get started.
- Do not fully understanding how or what they are getting with ArcGIS for Local Government. Therefore, have a hard time seeing the value.
- Keeping up with version releases and update plans for the technology in use.
- Maintaining consistent support and progress across the organization while responding to business needs in a timely fashion.
- Esri technology has an accelerated release schedule, resulting in increased functionality. Often, customers are not aware of how these enhancements can meet their business needs.
- Unaware of solutions other departments can utilize with ArcGIS.
Learn More Here