This article may reference Continental Mapping, GISinc, or TSG Solutions. These three legacy companies merged in January 2021 to form a new geospatial leader.
NIRIS, the Navy Installation Restoration Information Solution, is a web-based system that manages the Navy's environmental data, documents and records related to the cleanup of hazardous waste sites like bombing ranges, etc. It provides the Navy's remedial project managers and environmental professionals with tools to effectively analyze, visualize, and present analytical and spatial data.
Before we began working with our client, they were using old GIS technology with no standard workflow, a rudimentary viewer, and no consistent tie back to their analyze and sampling data - it was all kind of ad hoc. Users would run one query and get one result, another user would run the same query again and get a different result - which made you question the reliability of it. We worked with the client to move all of this into a robust enterprise GIS environment (GRX) that provides analytical, management, and visualization tools to ensure that effective cleanup decisions are made. Tools within NIRIS allow users to perform the following:
- Uploading, querying, analyzing, and exporting chemical data
- Searching environmental restoration records
- Collaborating among partnering teams
- Entering, locating and managing Land Use Controls (LUCs)
- Managing technical support requests
- Facilitating coordination of sampling and analysis plans (SAPs)
NIRIS ensures stakeholder teams can quickly and easily access quality data for environmental sites, facilitating decision making. Additional benefits of NIRIS include the following:
- Centralizing a data management system to report on ER Program progress and establish budgets
- Providing stakeholder access to high-quality environmental restoration data and documents
- Standardizing tools for visualization, analysis, modeling and querying
- Maintaining institutional knowledge
- Facilitating interoperability within Department of Defense (DoD)
- Supporting decisions leading to cost avoidance measures