Working for the Town of Greenville (population 10,000), Wisconsin, GIS Manager, Jennifer Tovar was struggling to keep up with demand for information. The Town had only 21 staff members and needed to create a web presence for staff, executive management, and residents to access location information without the need for additional server/IT infrastructure. The Town turned to ArcGIS Online as a mechanism to deliver intuitive web applications hosted in the Cloud.
During a one-week onsite visit, we were able to establish a public web presence for the Town of Greenville. Using Esri's Water Utilities Model Organization for ArcGIS Online, we established the agency's account structure. We met with stakeholders from key departments to determine opportunities to provide them valuable information for their daily processes. A map gallery on the GIS departments' webpage allows for quick discovery and access to the products Jennifer is creating. By altering their data management workflows, the Town is now able to effectively host and maintain their core datasets as feature services on ArcGIS Online, providing the foundation for their web applications. This creates a flexible environment for users accessing this information through their desktop, tablet, or other mobile devices. Some data is now edited by staff through specific web applications and the ArcGIS Collector. In addition, staff members are now using Esri Maps for Office to create maps and embed them in PowerPoint presentations.
Summary of how the Town of Greenville benefits:
- Staff and public access to information reduces routine demands on Jennifer allowing her to focus on expanding offerings.
- Executive management now relies on web maps in weekly meetings.
- Access to spatial information now provides additional value to decision making processes.
- Applications are available on desktop and mobile devices allowing greater flexibility to their users.
- By leveraging ArcGIS Online as their hosted solution, the Town gained a strong web presence without the need to manage additional IT infrastructure.
- A quick win and demonstrated value has provided momentum to their program.
- Recognition as a 2014 Esri SAG Award Winner